It is time to officially get pumped for Spring! The sun is filtering in and I can hear a lawn mower! Did you hear me? I said a LAWN MOWER!!! That’s a big deal up here in the northwest when the color of the sky has teetered between black and white for the past 4 months. The cherry blossoms are blooming, and even though it can still be damp, and the rain moves in and out, I can sense the seasons shifting. I am a PNW girl, but sometimes I envy those that wake up and go to sleep to the dry heat and brilliant sun, day in and day out. Truth is, I have been in a funk for the past 3 weeks. I was in New York for a few days (and loved it) but when I returned, I was hit with one thing after another that has been stressful or frustrating or sad. Instead of jumping back into my normal routine and taking care of myself… I feel like I am barely getting by. I am not feeling motivated! And while a tropical vacation sounds like the perfect fix to recharge my batteries, it is not in the cards. I want to feel like I am on a vacation when I am home, loving my life.
So, it’s time to shake of the self-pity and get back in the game! We are always going to have challenges and things are not going to go our way. We are constantly going to be trying to learn how to curve this or be better at that. But that is no reason to wallow. The only way we are going to get better is by being better. And pouting is not on the list!
Below you will find out how I am going to pull myself out of this funk! I will update you on my progress down the road.
1. Step Outside Or At Least Up To The Table: First things first. As I started writing this indoors, I was sitting on my couch. My cozy, comfortable, “I want to lay down and take a nap” couch. So I switched gears. That lawn mower had my ear and the sun can warm the front stoop fairly quickly. So I moved locations and am now currently writing outside. Breathing in fresh air. And that feels good. If you can’t go outside, because after all, it is only spring and this is the one time the weather is more temperamental than you when you when you’re pms’ing… then step up to the table. Pull up a chair, to an actual table, grab a beverage, maintain good posture and get to work. Organize your area, outline your tasks and go to it. Productivity should soar!
2. Spring Clean The House: Get rid of the clutter! Enlist the kids to help, take a weekend with your husband, or write out a plan of what you will tackle independently each day for the next week or two and make it happen. Purging feels so good and we often collect so much more than we need. Deep cleaning is also important and necessary to feeling like you are ahead of the game. Time to get rid of those cobwebs and freshen up! I will follow-up next week with posting my spring cleaning list. I hope it will help motivate both of us! My advice thus far, is to tackle room by room, closet to closet. It helps to isolate the chaos and keep from getting overwhelmed.
3. Open The Windows: Who likes stale air? I know it’s been cold and dreary… But honestly, I think it is worth turning the heat up a few degrees higher for a short period of time to open all the windows and BREATH FRESH AIR!!!! Hopefully, you don’t have to go to the lengths of turning up the heat… But if you do, who cares? Who is judging you? If they are, they shouldn’t. Feel the breeze, listen to the birds, smell the air and give the walls of your house a wake up.
4. Workout: Guilty as charged. I really hate this about myself. I know, it is a strong word. But it is true. I do not like that once I step out of my routine – I lose all momentum. I was working out well until I left on my trip. And I haven’t done anything since I got back. Big BUMMER. Let’s be real. I need it for my body… But I also need it for my mind! It is important to exercise. So… I best be getting started. No matter how big or small, just do something. It can be a daily walk, a few squats before bed, or a whole intense workout. Start somewhere where you feel like you can be successful and keep it up.
5. Connect With God: He is the one for us to lean on when we are weak. He is always there and waiting for us to connect even when we go off course and try to live for ourselves. He is constant and will not leave you even if you have. He will take you back with love and open arms. Every. Single. Time. When I am facing confusion and attacks, He is the one for me to turn to and I will have peace. It is impossible for me to do it all on my own, but through Him, I can and I will.
If you don’t know where to start in trying to connect, I would like to suggest you go check out Pastor Steven Furtick’s series on Unqualified. I am currently listening (over and over) to these messages and am floored by the revelation taking place. (Blog series in the works on that one). It is not often you get to listen to someone so real, without masking. And if my six-year-old enjoys it – I think you will too!
6. Freshen Up: Oh boy… I may be opening a can of worms here. I feel like this applies across many areas:
- Meals / Food
Don’t let this overwhelm you. If it does, try to pick just one category to focus on. The idea is to feel lighter. Or lighten up. Let me explain:
- Meals / Food: Is it time to stop making the crock pot turkey chile and switch gears to some fresh BBQ or hearty salads? Think about doing a menu change. And if that is too much – start with having some fresh, cold ice tea or lemonade to serve in the fridge. Whether you have time to make this yourself or buy packaged, a cold glass will surely get your smiling towards summer.
- Body: Hate to say it, but are you in need of some grooming? Those winter months we tend to hibernate. It may be time to freshen up and wax it up! Maybe a pedicure is all you need, or a haircut. Whatever the case, treat your body to some personal indulgence. We always have a bit more motivation when we are feeling fresh!
- Clothing: Although it is a little too soon to trade your leggings in for cut off shorts, or your rain boots for flip-flops, you can start to purge the unnecessary and start to sprinkle in some new bright items. If shopping is not in your budget and you don’t have summer gear stored away to go through, take a moment and think about what you want your spring/summer wardrobe to look like. What pieces are important to you? What are you comfortable in? What is happening in fashion? Start thinking and saving now and you will be prepared to make the purchases you need without blowing the bank.
- Attitude: I think this is a no-brainer for me. My attitude is in dire need of a freshen up! Enough of the self-pity. It is time to re-boot and speak only the positive and continue with drive and purpose. Nothing is going to get done with me operating at 5 miles per hour. I don’t want to be getting by. I want to be making things happen. However great or small – my life is worth it. God has called purpose on it and it is in His honor that I need to try to operate at my best. That does not mean hard and challenging times won’t be ignored. There is a time and a place to discuss and deal with those issues. But stay encouraged. Stay hopeful. Stay positive. And just check how much energy you are spending on the negative. Does it need to be re-adjusted?
- Finances: Did you set goals at the beginning of this year? Have you been sticking to them? Is it time to review, see what’s changed, adjust and stay the course? Yeah… Probably. We are in the midst of hosting a Financial Peace University Class by Dave Ramsey, once a week in our home right now. We have taken this course before – but I love the simplified instruction. There is always something new to learn and takeaway. It is great for marriages too, because it designed to make you a team – even when you have different opinions and strengths and weaknesses. Bleu and I outlined our goals January 1st. It is really helpful and eye-opening to be in a financial class now that will help us understand what we can accomplish and how to get there.
Well, sitting outside in the 50 degree weather feels like 70 when you haven’t moved. I think I may have actually started to get a tan. That and my booty is numb from sitting! But I feel like now I have a new focus, some action steps and some accountability. My focus is to drop the self-pity and bounce into spring! My action steps are listed above and my accountability is you! I will be following up to this post on my progress. If you want encouragement or accountability – please feel free to comment below or email me personally. I read every response and I will be happy to stand by you and help navigate whatever waters you feel need to be chartered.
Best of luck to you and to ME! I pray we both find peace, balance, motivation and renewed minds through this!